Google Chrome for Dummies - Cartoons Included
Posted on September 3, 2008
Filed Under Web 2.0 Kool Aid |
There’s a lot of confusion about Google’s new browser, Chrome, and a lot of questions are being asked.
Is it a web browser? Is it better than Firefox? Is it an operating system? Is it going to kill Windows? Can it help you lose weight? Will it make your penis larger? Can it be used as a vibrator?
Whether you’re an average consumer looking to browse the Internets in the most efficient way possible or a former securities analyst who thinks the “technology stack” refers to pancakes, this post should clear things up for you.
What Chrome Is
- Chrome is a web browser.
- Chrome is built on the same Webkit open-source web browser engine that powers Safari.
- Chrome is filled with many of the features found in other popular browsers, such as Internet Explorer and Firefox.
- Chrome is integrated with Google’s web applications - most of which you probably don’t use (and probably never will).
- Chrome is, according to Google, more efficient and secure because it has been developed in a manner that Google believes is uber geeky.
- Chrome is designed to enable web applications you’ll probably never use to do things you probably don’t need or want them to do because it includes something called Google Gears.
What Chrome Isn’t
- Chrome .
- Chrome isn’t an operating system.
- Chrome isn’t a substitute for Windows. Warning: for some unknown reason Chrome will stop functioning if you try to uninstall Windows (I’m told that Marissa Mayer is working on a fix for this as we speak).
- Chrome isn’t a good reason to buy Google stock.
- Chrome isn’t going to help you lose weight.
- Chrome isn’t going to make you richer.
- Chrome isn’t going to make you less socially awkward.
- Chrome isn’t going to attract members of the opposite sex to you for the purpose of reproduction (or no-strings-attached copulation).
If you have any questions about the origins of Google Chrome, please see the cartoon introductions below.
Print This Post
4 Responses to “Google Chrome for Dummies - Cartoons Included”
Leave a Reply
“Chrome isn’t an operating system.”
Amazingly, the few examples you cited yesterday were just a drop in the bucket of confusion on this one, and I don’t get it. The link says “for Vista or XP.” You install it like any other program. You run it like any other program, yet people seem to think that as soon as Chrome fires up it’s “in your face, Microsoft!”
On the positive side, I didn’t get the ruler out or anything, but my penis feels larger when I’m using Chrome.
Funny thing is that my email claims to do all of the above and more…
You can install it like any other program.
You run it like any other program.
And it has an icon like any other program.
But when you run it, SURPRISE!
IT’S ANOTHER PROGRAM!
A web browser, in fact.
That’s right. It’s the same content, with a faster interface for crap I never used [Read: Google Apps]
Cartoonage is fucking hilarious.